Forums/ The 7th Citadel/ Rules and Operating Points4 posts
Posted - Edited
Rulebook page 17:

If no card with that number is available:

When the numbox of the card you must take is followed by a (green diamond), it means you need not do anything if the card is not available in the Adventure Deck. Otherwise, you must immediately return all the cards in the Past and then take the newly available card.

This says, to me, that if i'm told to grab card X, and card X is not in the box, i must immediately return all cards from the Past and try again.

If that's not the intended meaning then i am extremely confused about how to interpret it. If it is the intended meaning then there is an exploit for
maxing out to 99 hp at the Inn of the Red Spiggy
by applying the "Otherwise" part of that rule:
we can draw 1 card to encounter the inn, gain 4 HP, spend 1 of them on Recovery and add the rest to our HP total, then use the "if no card with that number is available" rule to recover the Inn and repeat this endlessly.
Posted
This says, to me, that if i'm told to grab card X, and card X is not in the box, i must immediately return all cards from the Past and try again.

This is true if you see a card_pick WITHOUT the little card_if_available icon.

If you see a card_pick WITH the little card_if_available icon, you do NOT return all the cards from the Past. If the card is unavailable in the box, nothing happens.
Posted
ogeert wrote:
This is true if you see a card_pick WITHOUT the little card_if_available icon.

That explains it. The "otherwise" applies to whether the number has a card_if_available, and not to the "if the card is not available" part. My wife and i both spent several minutes pondering that rule and both of us parsed the "otherwise" as applying to the "if the card is not available" condition.

Thank you for the clarification!
Posted
It is the formatting of the rule that gives its meaning :

• Chapter: Take a numbered card
    • Case 1: if multiple cards with the same number are available
    • Case 2: if no green card is available
    • Case 3: if no card with that number is available
      ==> One paragraph to explain this case.
    • Case 4: if several involved players need to take a numbered card
resource_fire Firebird resource_fire (ma ludothèque)
T7Continent : icon_succes DV, OG, LG --- icon_curse SI, [CD+SI] --- icon_success-left Histoire, Pénitence, Funéraille --- card_type_temporary_event [SI+TS]
T7Citadel : card_type_temporary_event
Forums/ The 7th Citadel/ Rules and Operating Points4 posts