Forums/ The 7th Citadel/ Strategies & Tactics9 posts
Posted - Edited
Just played my first 2 games.

First time I was working out the rules, but I found (info about the scénario :)
a lot of the pitfalls like Taja. However my random event cards worked in my favor. I found the wire early and could unlock the door to get a weapon to defeat the little gremlin with the club.

However I didn't fully understand the chain action makes this (part)
battle (and the battle with the tree at the end)
extremely difficult.

What is the strategy here? Both (cards)
battles
rely on impossible rolls without augmenting the chain restriction, but those cards are few and far between. They're often hidden in the deck and trying to retrieve them is a frustrating endeavor.

What is the strategy here?

I'm playing solo, fyi.

Edit modo : Spoiler tag and context added
Posted
I've just watched a couple of YouTubers say that the die on combat cards ticks down as you complete successes. Is this true? For example if you have a chained 2+ and a die showing 4, and you only get one successe between your two selected cards, you can deduct that one success and the die now shows 3.

If so this works very differently than any other time you're presented with a cards & stars situation.

It's this a player variant to make combat easier or is this intended by Les poulps?
Posted - Edited
You should read this FAQ entry :
How do you reduce the die’s value in a compound action?
You can find this information in the rulebook.

It seems that there are also some topics about the introduction. -)

Note : A compound action is not mandatory action_mandatory, so you can let the die on the card to explore between 2 tries and found more items card_type_purse.

(Moderator mode : don't forget to use the spoiler tag. Thanks !)
resource_fire Firebird resource_fire (ma ludothèque)
T7Continent : icon_succes DV, OG, LG --- icon_curse SI, [CD+SI] --- icon_success-left Histoire, Pénitence, Funéraille --- card_type_temporary_event [SI+TS]
T7Citadel : card_type_temporary_event
Posted
Thanks as always firebird.

This is the reason why I kept failing. I didn't realize that you could account for successes even when failing by reducing the die value.

Trying to achieve 6 successes all in one go is near impossible :) but I didn't put it past the poulps because I know how brutal they could be with Continent :)

Also, SPs how to play video on YouTube doesn't help because they resolve the first compound action in one go. They don't show that you tick down the die count- it just moves down to the next step. That added to my confusion.

For what it's worth I did read the manual but clearly not closely enough.
Posted
Schleima, also pay attention to compound actions that are single rows. It's easy to miss that they are compound. Most of the compound ones are easy to spot because they have many rows where you complete one, then move the die down to the next. There are a couple of sneaky cards where it's a single row and you think it is a simple action but it's not. The black background can be easy to overlook.
Posted - Edited
Thanks Setha, it's an important advice.
To illustrate :

Here, you can fail action_consequence_failure, count your success on the die, let the die on the card to continue your adventure, then come back to try again.

Note: I'm not sure, but it seems that it exists some "typo" without the black border (in case of unique type of Action action_empty). ==> The main symbol to check is dice_star (Star in the black square).
T7Continent : icon_succes DV, OG, LG --- icon_curse SI, [CD+SI] --- icon_success-left Histoire, Pénitence, Funéraille --- card_type_temporary_event [SI+TS]
Posted
I played a third time tonight with my new understanding of the compound actions and finally won. Amazing how following the rules can help sometimes :)

A couple of random questions.... Is
Walda's "moush"
a misspelling for
mouse
?

Also when the
torture room collapses
, and you swap the
hidden number terrain card
for the one without a number, I didn't actually see any instruction whether to
banish or discard the card containing the hidden number.
Posted
schleima wrote:
A couple of random questions.... Is
Walda's "moush"
a misspelling for
mouse
?

It's not a typo error. You just met your first specimen of the original 7TCi bestiary. ;-)

schleima wrote:
Also when the
torture room collapses
, and you swap the
hidden number terrain card
for the one without a number, I didn't actually see any instruction whether to
banish or discard the card containing the hidden number.

The rulebook p.22

Note : Don't forget that you need to have a character on the Terran card with the hidden number. Here,
you must enter again in the room... then exit with the big [action_mandatoryaction_condition_empty]Walk penality.
Posted
Got it, thanks Firebird

I love how the game opens up in the Epilogue, thematically and strategicially, all while being presented as a tutorial for the larger game.

I can see why the expansion adding variation to the intro scenario is welcome. I imagine that repeatedly playing through the same tutorial scenario, especially once you've exhausted all of the options (and figured out which ones create an optimal pathway) gets to be a bit of a slog. Having now played through the intro scenario 3 times, I've already gone through most of the options, and it does bug me a little bit that in a future playthrough I'm going to have to perhaps intentionally sacrifice what I know is a good option for one that may not be (as I found on my failed 2nd playthrough when I unwittingly chose to get
zapped by the wizard instead of achieving Ratko as a companion
).

From the epilogue I see that there is at least one other option to go for in the
torture room with the prisoner, and it looks like Taja may not be entirely useless :) So that does give me something to go for in future scenarios.

I suppose if the intent of the Intro scenario is not to kill the player (when they follow the rules as intended...) then I'm effectively at the point with intro where I'd be playing through the second or third threat at this point.
Forums/ The 7th Citadel/ Strategies & Tactics9 posts