Forums/ The 7th Citadel/ General16 posts
Posted
This is my first Serious Pulp game. I attempted the Intro Scenario solo with a single character and ended up unconscious and not able to complete the scenario. It was a fun experience and I intend the play through the scenario again. Some questions:

1 - Does the game scale 'uniformly' across the number of characters? Is the game 'easier' with 2 characters as opposed to 1? I could see some benefits to having a second character even though the starting health is lower it might make some of the challenges more manageable.

If you are soloing the game are you play single handed or two handed?

2 - To replay the Intro Scenario I'll return all the cards to the starting locations in the box and replay. Since this is the Intro Scenario this will work. Once I've progressed further into the game I think the only way to reset the scenario is to make sure all the discarded cards and banished cards are not mixed with the discards or banished cards from prior scenarios. Will this work for replay of future scenarios?
Posted
If all characters are unconscious, the adventure ends immediately and the players lose.

So there is no replaying of scenarios without starting from scratch
flag_curse_sm VG: icon_succes PoC: icon_succes IM: icon_succes
CS card_pick009: icon_succes, card_pick123: icon_succesicon_succes
VotE icon_succes SoM icon_succes
Posted - Edited
First, it seems quite rare to me to see a player fail the introductory scenario (but it's not impossible). It would be good to make sure that you played without major errors: did you detect any particularly difficult situations? Recovery (1 life point = 2 cards) wasn't enough to survive until the end?
Use Spoiler tags to respond, please.
example

1- I don't have precise information for balancing, but I know that SP tested long enough for the game to be good in all cases. Maybe the experience is a little different. For example, alone, you can personalize your deck by creating varied multi-class combos between your cards while 2 players will specialize a little more.

2- What you are proposing is not provided for in the rule (which requires moving forward in the scenario even if failure: if all the players are unconscious, we return to the Citadel and read the epilogue.) [EDIT : Error. See below]
Your fanmade proposal to restart a scenario could work in theory, but I imagine that some scenarios that do not start from the Citadel will be problematic: you would have to save the state of life points and Action decks to reset them. And it is necessary to take into account the effects of buildings or other effects linked to the preparations in the introduction.
resource_fire Firebird resource_fire (ma ludothèque)
T7Continent : icon_succes DV, OG, LG --- icon_curse SI, [CD+SI] --- icon_success-left Histoire, Pénitence, Funéraille --- card_type_temporary_event [SI+TS]
T7Citadel : card_type_temporary_event
Posted - Edited
A question about this: the rulebook states that if all characters are unconscious or if a game effect reads "your adventure ends here", you lose. Does that mean you lose the entire Threat, or you lose just the scenario and you will have to follow the consequences for that, before continuing the next scenario?
Posted
ogeert wrote:
A question about this: the rulebook states that if all characters are unconscious or if a game effect reads "your adventure ends here", you lose. Does that mean you lose the entire Threat, or you lose just the scenario and you will have to follow the consequences for that, before continuing the next scenario?

The rulebook is clear here. If all players are unconscious, the adventure ends (the Threat).

In order to resolve the scenario players (or player) must return to the Citadel (conscious and assuming the scenario requires to return to the Citadel) and go to a scenario conclusion. Then the adventure continues (assuming it does not end during the conclusion) with the next scenario. This way the scenario is never repeated, you either fail the Threat or go forward with the next scenario. If you fail the scenario (all players unconscious) you fail the Threat.
Posted - Edited
Perhaps it is the time to get out the bottle of House Rule Smelling Salts!
I don't usually advocate changing the rules of a game, but in all seriousness my enjoyment is about getting a good balance of fun vs challenges. If some rules are making the fun factor less fun, then modifying a rule or two to up the fun per hours per "buck" works for me.
Posted
qetuol wrote:
ogeert wrote:

The rulebook is clear here. If all players are unconscious, the adventure ends (the Threat).

In order to resolve the scenario players (or player) must return to the Citadel (conscious and assuming the scenario requires to return to the Citadel) and go to a scenario conclusion. Then the adventure continues (assuming it does not end during the conclusion) with the next scenario. This way the scenario is never repeated, you either fail the Threat or go forward with the next scenario. If you fail the scenario (all players unconscious) you fail the Threat.

I think you can just return to the citadel when you think you won’t finish the scenario before become unconscious. Then you fail the scenario but still continue with the next one.
Posted - Edited
Firebird[the rule wrote:
requires moving forward in the scenario even if failure: if all the players are unconscious, we return to the Citadel and read the epilogue.)

^^^^ I made a mistake here ^^^^

qetuol wrote:
ogeert wrote:

^^^^^ You're right !

• All inconscious = Fail of the Threat. Reset the game and take another Citadel leaflet.
  • At least one of the players survive (for ex. 1 life point and 0 cards in his Action deck) and go back to the Citadel consciouly = End of the Scenario. Read epilog and play the next scenario.
    ==> There's no "failure" or "win" here. Just different success in your objectifs.
T7Continent : icon_succes DV, OG, LG --- icon_curse SI, [CD+SI] --- icon_success-left Histoire, Pénitence, Funéraille --- card_type_temporary_event [SI+TS]
Posted
JackSpirio wrote:

I think you can just return to the citadel when you think you won’t finish the scenario before become unconscious. Then you fail the scenario but still continue with the next one.

You can, but it is again a house rule.

"Return to the Citadel" is not some abstraction meaning you can anytime just end your scenario and resolve the conclusion but actually moving your character figure on the Terrain cards back to the Citadel (either by the move action or by using some
magic
). This is very clearly stated in the rulebook on page 22:
There are several ways to go back to the Citadel. The most common one is by moving the characters' figures along the Terrain cards that lead back to the Citadel.
Posted
That’s what I meant
Posted - Edited
First, it seems quite rare to me to see a player fail the introductory scenario (but it's not impossible). It would be good to make sure that you played without major errors: did you detect any particularly difficult situations?

So I was indeed making a major error. During Compound Actions I wasn't reducing the dice value for each success. Instead I was attempting to achieve all success in one action!!
Posted
HowieWowie wrote:
First, it seems quite rare to me to see a player fail the introductory scenario (but it's not impossible). It would be good to make sure that you played without major errors: did you detect any particularly difficult situations?

So I was indeed making a major error. During Compound Actions I was reducing the dice value for each success. Instead I was attempting to achieve all success in one action!!

That's a good news to have identified the error.
Goodluck for your next run!
Posted
HowieWowie wrote:

So I was indeed making a major error. During Compound Actions I wasn't reducing the dice value for each success. Instead I was attempting to achieve all success in one action!!

Thank you so much for this post. We were stuck at the final fight of the introduction and couldn't understand why it was so shockingly hard to beat. We finally made it through with a lot of luck and 1 life point each left, and this is the exact same error we made.
Posted
Firebird wrote:
First, it seems quite rare to me to see a player fail the introductory scenario (but it's not impossible). It would be good to make sure that you played without major errors: did you detect any particularly difficult situations? Recovery (1 life point = 2 cards) wasn't enough to survive until the end?

I must be really bad at this game then D' I played the intro scenario solo two nights ago and failed. Then my son and I played two-player last night and failed. Both times we reached
the mutant tree on card 047

We are playing the compound actions and recovery costs correctly (I think). When I played with my son, I tried to let him make all the decisions; I did not use my knowledge of the previous play through to avoid negative consequences that I knew were coming, so we ended up with some of the same mistakes in both runs. Each time we have tried to
carry Taja all the way out
. This has drained our energy a fair amount. Maybe that is making the difference.

Last night we had
the mutant tree down to 1 remaining star on the third step of the fight
. We just couldn't get the last success that we needed before running out of cards. It also didn't help that all of the items we had discovered broke on the first roll of the dice each time.

I think one of my main problems is that I have not mastered the strategy of overcoming those blasted chain icons. They are brutal if you do not have the right skill cards or items available to either increase chain count or to convert class icons into successes! We did better in the second run, but by the time we reached our downfall, we didn't have any good purse items or skills left to help.

I'll try again tonight...
Posted
You failed twice for a perfect scenario ending.
Taja
is an ambitious goal. ;-)

Good luck for the next attempt !
Remember: with two or more players, only one conscious player is enough to win.
Posted
Gah, I just realized we had a Hope Reborn card that probably would have been enough to get us over the hurdle both times. I completely forgot about the 10 life points that were available by blocking the card... Pretty sure that would have changed the outcome each time.
Forums/ The 7th Citadel/ General16 posts